The Office of Deacon as set forth in Scripture is one of sympathy, witness, and service after the example of Jesus Christ. It is the duty of deacons, first of all, to minister to those who are in need, to the sick, to the friendless, and to any who may be in distress both within and beyond the community of faith. (PC(USA) Book of Order G-6.0401/6.0402)
About the Board of Deacons
The Term of Service for a Deacon is 3 years, with a maximum term of 2 terms served consecutively.
- Betty Ann Beck
- Paige Caracuzzo
- Bob Casey
- Rob Galberg
- Sandra Prescott
- Joan Zinader
Executive committee duties at Faith Church include:
- Prepare the agenda for each meeting.
- Take Minutes at each meeting and submit a copy to Session.
- Prepare a monthly Treasurer's Report and submit a copy to Session / write checks as required.
- Prepare Deacon's Yearly Report for the church Annual Report.
- Update Deacon's Calling Tree as required.
Deacon duties, in addition to those listed in the Book of Order, include:
- Attend meetings held on the 3rd Monday of each month, at 7 p.m . Deacons will notify the Moderator if they cannot attend.
- Serve in at least one ministry capacity within Faith Church Board of Deacons as follows: Member Support, We Care Team, Card Program, Food Shelf, Community / Emergency Services, Faith Church "Helping Hands", Nominating Committee, Blood Drive or Hospitality. Officers may not be required to serve in these ministries.
- Support church youth activities.
- Participate in an annual joint meeting with Session.
- Assist in new Deacon training as needed.
- Present a "Moment for Deacons" to the congregation as required.
- Prepapare and/or Serve Communion on a rotational basis with other Deacons.
- Pray with the Pastor prior to Sunday worship on assigned rotation. Deacons are encouraged to pray with the Pastor as often as they can, even on Sundays not assigned.
- Maintain the Elder/Deacon call list, used for emergency communication with one another or the members of the congregation.
There is a Deacon Mail Box in the hallway next to the church office where the congregation can leave prayer requests, and other communications. In order to respect confidentiality, full names of those "In Need" are not included in monthly minutes.
Deacons are assigned Prayer Partners within the organization to share prayer requests and thanksgiving in supporting one another.
Consider becoming a Deacon the next time the Nominating Committee contacts you. The possibilities are endless and so are the rewards!